Friday, February 10, 2017

Friends...

There has been a great need for friends the last few weeks.  Something I regret to share... I take for granted sometimes.  I forget that there are people out there who have known me from toddlerhood, teens, twenties, and just in the last few years who share their love.  



Friends are the much needed extra arms to love on Liam.  The minute we arrive, Liam is cuddled into these arms and adored while I take a moment to rest my arms and savor his smile.  We were adorned before Liam was even born with baby showers and gifts that today we are still using.  They showed up at the hospital moments after we became a family and have stayed by our sides, celebrating Liam's achievements, encouraging him to eat, sitting with us while he has had his procedures, and encouraging us as we learn new ways to support Liam or when we need a boost.  Friends got together when Liam was in the NICU and gifted us with financial help.  We didn't know at that time what our medical expenses would be.  They thought about that for us and supported us through that process.  

I had a phone conversation with one friend just last week and in that period of time, a tightness in my heart seemed to ease and the turmoil I was putting myself through calmed.  This friend witnessed, assured, and gave a gentle suggestion, what a gift!  Even today I was able to hike with another friend, we witnessed deer grazing near the trail, we shared vulnerable experiences, we celebrated each others' successes, and laughed at the wonderful silly things we were thinking.  There is something about the sharing of experiences, time, space, and presence that can stop any destructive thought patterns.
Friends have helped to normalize our life.  They have helped by putting teas, herbs, foods, and blankets together for us.  They have taken Liam for a few hours so Sean and I can have a date, they have checked Liam's different wounds when I questioned how his healing was coming along, they encouraged my healing skills to support Liam, they helped research natural healing remedies so Liam could stay out of Doctor offices when the flu was running rampant.  I can't imagine Sean and I raising this amazing being without all the wonderful people who have stepped in to be part of this journey.    As a friend shared today, our life might be normalized but there is nothing normal about our situation.  She is right, we are extraordinarily blessed by friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment