Monday, April 3, 2017

Wonder...


Spring in Arizona has always been a wild ride, higher temperatures, sun, rain, snow, sleet, hail, wind, I never knew what to expect when someone would let me know 'Spring' had arrived.  This weekend was no exception.  I had a workshop to attend to keep my massage license current so we decided to head north for the weekend and have a little get away.  We left Prescott with dark clouds and a threat of rain, we arrived in Flagstaff with an inch of snow and more to follow.

When we awoke on Saturday there was more snow to fall, a breeze, and the sun was trying to peek through the clouds.  By Saturday night the clouds were sparse and the temperature had risen enough for us to take a walk at Sunset Crater National Monument.  Sunset Crater has always held a soft spot in my heart, there are fond memories of exploring as a school child, with family and friends, and more recently on a couple of meditation retreats.  I have always allowed for the magic of the land to take me on some mystical journey!


What has come to fruition is that with Liam, life is unfolding in that same magic.  We are getting experience the wind for the first time through Liam's senses.  Touching rocks and trees, sharing in the wonder he is experiencing.  I know I was taught that having children would be a most wonderful journey especially learning through their senses.  I guess this was a lesson I had to experience on my own!  WHAT A BLAST!

Just in the weekend, Liam has reached out to feel lava rock for the first time.  He is starting to realize that there are different textures for different pine needles.  He has different reactions to different things as if he is discerning what he likes or dislikes, what brings him pleasure or not.  Today he met his shadow for the first time!  We had so much fun meeting this 'being' and enjoying his delight as he explored his movements and the mirror movements of this 'being'.


We are having so much fun witnessing Liam explore his movement.  He is getting faster with his crawling and more bold with his willingness to let go for a second.  He is almost running with his little walker, and yet when he wants to get somewhere 'fast' he drops to all fours and charges head first.  He has found the stairs and loves to climb up to the second floor to play in his room.  We are working on getting back down, that isn't as much fun, since he would love to face where he is going.  I am so grateful we get to savor these moments of wonder with Liam and truly absorb the joy they bring.

 There is a story that my mom and I were hiking when I was maybe 4 and I kept stopping to show her a flower or a lizard.  She said that the sun was sinking behind the trees but I was oblivious, I was more interested in the little things.  Our adventures ran this way through adulthood, I would want to go slow and savor little things, and she had a fantastic agenda to fulfill.  When I was 15 we went to Yellowstone to visit my sister, Ashea.  I woke up in a sour mood from a nap and didn't really want to go on a hike but the family was headed out and I do enjoy being outdoors.  So being the defiant 15 year old I was (I still am defiant just not as cute!) I lagged behind and let the others disappear on their fast pace hike.  My present was getting to witness a sunset that is burned in my memory as one of my favorites!  I asked my family if they watched the sunset and no one got to see it, I guess the angle I watched from was the perfect angle.  I keep this story as my guide, am I moving at a pace that will let me savor the moments, catch the gifts, and keep the wonder in our lives?  As we learn more about Liam and his pace, I have a feeling he is a sunset gift, he has come at the perfect time, and is making life that much more memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment