Friday, April 7, 2017

A first birthday of sorts...





Today is Liam's 1st anniversary of his heart surgery.  In a way another birthday since they did have to stop his heart for a few moments.   Writing that almost stops my own heart.  What a wild year the last year has been!  Liam ended up having an appointment down at Phoenix Children's Hospital today with his gastroenterologist.  What a weird feeling driving up to the hospital knowing I would only be there for an hour and yet having a wave of apprehension wash over.  Thankfully that apprehension left as soon as it came and we were able to play.  I never thought of hospitals as fun, I still don't, and yet Liam and I have a different kind of time at the hospital where we end up playing and laughing.  Today, I needed the laughter and the snuggles just a little more.

The gastrroenterologist sent in a referral for Liam to receive an evaluation to find out if he is eligible for an intensive feeding therapy program.  This is not the first time I have received the recommendation to check in with this program.  The program is 6 weeks in Phoenix with Liam receiving support around eating everyday.  I don't know all the details but the thought of driving to Phoenix, or having our family split for 6 weeks has deterred me from really searching out if this is something that would be beneficial.  I think I have been hoping that Liam would miraculously start eating on his own.  I guess we are being given another option, the option of getting Liam the most beneficial help he can have, and we are willing.

To help ease the day, Liam and I traveled to Jerome to meet up with my dad, sister, and niece for a few hours.  We played in the park, watching kids go down the slide, climb bars, and run around.  I knew I wanted to get Liam in the swings so when the swings were open I jumped on the chance to play.  Liam had so much fun!   He is quite enamored with his cousin Aria!  I am so grateful he has the chance to get to know his cousins and learn so much from them!  What a gift to have this little being just a year ago, receive heart surgery to present day, playing on a swing, laughing!  He is our miracle!!

No comments:

Post a Comment